Everything from your business practices to proprietary software can be patented to give your company a competitive advantage. This is particularly important if you are running a small business that has to compete with global corporations. Here are a few tips to help you acquire the patent you need.
- Check the requirements – Not everything can be patented. The first step is to see if what you want to protect meets the requirements.
- Selecting a patent type – There are different types of patents for everything ranging from a design to a new type of plant. You will need to understand what the different patent types are for so that you don’t waste time applying for the wrong one.
- Prepare the application – You will need to fill out an application to apply for a patent. However, you will also need to gather the correct documentation so that your application is accepted.
- Submit the application – Submitting the application properly will reduce delays in getting approval.
- Maintaining the patent – The patent will be good for a set amount of time, depending on the type of patent that you applied for. In order to keep your advantage over competitors, you may need to renew the patent from time to time.
Help Acquiring Patents in San Diego
Pokala Law APC specializes in helping small business owners in the San Diego area to protect your intellectual property. Contact us today at 1.844.695.1487, or you can request an appointment on our website.